Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Tell It To Bells: Instant Gratification!

I am still a newcomer when it comes to reading novellas and decided in 2010 to start a new feature on my blog. It was after reading and reviewing a novella by one of my favorite authors, JA Saare, that I decided to start this new feature. It was for her novella titled, Hunger Undone, and I kidded around with the fact that my middle name should have been "Instant Gratification". I thought that would be the perfect name because isn't that what novellas are all about? Giving you that quick read that you sometimes need?

I have to be honest, it took me a little time to get used to reading novellas. I was used to reading paperback and hardcover length books. When I would get to the end of the story of a novella, I just wasn't satisfied. I wanted more and kept thinking about what else could have been added to the end of the story to make it longer. Duh Bells! That's not what novellas are all about! (Yes I talk to myself. Admit it! You do too!) So I just kept reading them and I'm happy to say that I am now a lover of novellas. In fact I love them so much now that I downloaded a bunch of them to Aeva (my Kindle) just in case I want a quick read. I turn to novellas when I'm in a reading funk, and they really help me get out of them.

So I've decided to make a spiffy new button for my new feature. I feel that it truly showcases the true nature of a novella as being a quick read.


Photobucket

Whaddya think? I got the approval from my good friend Colette that it was ok, so I'm now going to get the old noggin ready to start reviewing novellas.

I've got some novellas that I will be reviewing! Tomorrow I will have the Seduction At Memory Grove series by Melissa Ecker posted. Hot series! Then I will be focusing on the awesome Trevlian Family series by JA Saare next. The series focuses on 3 relatives that are werewolves and I absolutely loved this series! It's another hot read that my buddies Tigris and Dren have also read and love!


So... Tell It To Bells:

How you feel about novellas. Are they something that you like to read and when do feel is the best time to read them? Who are some of your favorite authors that write novellas?


Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of novellas. As much as I like novel-length books, I don't always have time for them and I want something quick and dirty. Or quick and sweet, whichever the case may be.

    It's really difficult to do a novella well. In many cases, I feel the same way - unsatisfied and wanting more. It takes a really great author to write one that doesn't leave me wishing the novella were longer. JA Saare is fantastic at that. She writes believable stories with well drawn out characters, and I'm rarely left wanting more. Well, I am, but it's because I'm a greedy brat and I want MOAR of whichever book boyfriend she's writing about at the time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way, always wanting more...but, some of my favorite authors set their novellas in the same "worlds", so it started to click (especially the buy button!). Loves this idea, Bells!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bells! I love novellas, to me they are like a quick 'Pick Me Up' or having a Sweet Treat during the day but without the calories. Yes you always want more, but that is not necessarily a bad thing....is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've become a huge fan of novellas, but they are tricky. Sometimes they do want you leaving more, but some authors like Sydney Somers and Vivian Arend write great novellas-you have to check their stuff out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mama Kitty - You know I feel the same way our buddy JA Saare. I want MOAR too from her!

    Aria - Thanks. I wanted to do this feature in 2010 but never got around to it. Since I'm featuring novellas tomorrow, I figured now would be good. lol

    Andrea - Sweet Treat is the perfect way to describe it. I was actually thinking of also using a piece of chocolate with the words, Instant Gratification for this piece. lol More can be a bad thing if the author hasn't written more on the characters. For me that is. :)

    C - Thanks for the recs. I'm always on the hunt for new stuff to read. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They also leave me feeling a little empty. There isn't enough character development and relationships seem to rushed. Not saying I won't come across one that makes me giddy, just hasn't happened yet .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read Last Call by Olivia Brynn and LOVED it...not sure if its classified as a novella or a short story.

    I also enjoy Zoe Winters novellas...and the JR Ward one with my hunny Zadist was sooooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of my favorite naughty books are novellas - love 'em!

    ReplyDelete