Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Review: Fifty Shames of Earl Grey by Fanny Merkin

fiftyshamescover460Fifty Shames of Earl Grey
Book 1 of the Fifty Shames series
Author:  Fanny Merkin aka Andrew Shaffer
Publisher:   Da Capo Press
Release date:  7/10/12
Author's website:  Link
Young, arrogant, tycoon Earl Grey seduces the naïve coed Anna Steal with his overpowering good looks and staggering amounts of money, but will she be able to get past his fifty shames, including shopping at Walmart on Saturdays, bondage with handcuffs, and his love of BDSM (Bards, Dragons, Sorcery, and Magick)? Or will his dark secrets and constant smirking drive her over the edge?
After reading the first few chapters of this book in it's original form on the author's website, I was excited to learn that it was going to be turned into a book.  I've read the Fifty Shades of Grey series and enjoyed it, but also thought that it was absolutely perfect that a parody of it was written. I'm always laughing while reading Andrew Shaffer's tweets so it's no surprise that he would make this book laugh out loud funny.  So much, that while I was reading it my husband kept looking at me as if something was wrong with me. 

The characters of Earl Grey and Anna Steal manage to find their way to one another in the most hilarious of ways.  While following the same relationship path as Fifty Shades of Grey, the characters discover one another and before you know it one by one Earl Grey's shames are revealed.  Anna can't help but tap into her freaky side whenever she's around him and these two can't seem to stay away from one another.  

I'm giving Fifty Shames of Earl Grey a rating of: 
Photobucket

While Fifty Shames of Earl Grey was very funny, there came a time when I felt that it became a tad too much. I found myself ready for the end of it as it began to feel as if it dragging.  It was a tad too long and I would have felt more satisfied  with it ending sooner.  But for the most part I enjoyed it and am happy to have read it.  I know there is a sequel coming in the future and am not sure if I'll be open to reading it.  I think this 1st book was just enough for me, but I may get curious enough to want to check it out knowing that it will have some hilarious scenes in it.

1 comment: