Tuesday, January 3, 2012

NetGalley Review: Demons Like It Hot by Sydney Ayers

PhotobucketDemons Like It Hot
Book 2 in the Demons Unleashed series
Author: Sydney Ayers
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Genre: Paranormal Romance
ISBN: 9781402251771
Author's website: Link
A RECIPE FOR DISASTER...

Matthias Ambrose is a demon mercenary who never took sides, until his attraction to the spunky caterer he was hired to kidnap leads him to almost botch a job for the first time in eight hundred years. Now he must protect her from his former clients, but even an ice-cold demon like Matthias struggles to resist her fiery charms.

OR THE PERFECT RECIPE FOR PASSION...

Completely engrossed with planning menus and prepping recipes for her shot at cooking show fame, star caterer Serah SanGermano refuses to believe she's on a fast track to Hades.
But how's she supposed to stick to the kitchen if she can't stand the heat of her gorgeous demonic bodyguard?

As a diabolical plot to destroy humanity unfolds and all hell breaks loose in Serah's kitchen, she and Matthias find themselves knee-deep in demons and up to their eyeballs in love...
Serah SanGermano was 1st introduced in book 1 of the series Demons Prefer Blondes and in that book the author hinted that there was much more to her character than what she seems to be.   Something's going on with Serah because things seem to heat up when she's around.  When I say heat up and I really mean that. She keeps this info to herself and isn't very happy when Matthias Ambrose is assigned to be her bodyguard because Serah is actually pretty important.  She just doesn't know it yet and is irritated when Matthias is around because not only does she not want him there but because she is extremely attracted to him.  He just screams trouble and Matthias has his eye on Serah as well.  They actually share a past, one that Serah doesn't remember and there's a good reason why.  Yes I'm being vague in this review and it's because I don't want to give anything away.  But as the story flows she learns more about herself and exactly how Matthias fits into her life. The characters from the first book in the series Demons Prefer Blondes also make appearances throughout the book.

I'm giving Demons Like It Hot a rating of:
Photobucket

Overall, I found the story to be entertaining at times and felt that the author's writing was great, but I had a hard time connecting with Serah and Matthias. For me there just seemed to be something missing that I just can't put my finger on. There were times where I wasn't enjoying the storyline and times when I found myself laughing at what was happening. I don't think I was able to get fully vested into the storyline because my feelings for it weren't consistent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment