Friday, June 24, 2011

Guest Review: Mystical Warrior by Janet Chapman

I've got a wonderful guest review today by one of my favorite people in the whole world, my friend the wonderful Tigris Eden! Let's hear what she has to say about Mystical Warrior.


Photobucket
Mystical Warrior
Book 3 of the Midnight Bay series

Author:  Janet Chapman
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster
Genre:  Paranormal Romance
ISBN: 9781439159903
Release date: 6/28/11
Author's website:  Janet Chapman
Available to buy at:  Amazon
Trace Huntsman’s peaceful life has headed to hell in a hand-basket ever since stunningly beautiful Fiona Gregor moved into the vacant apartment above his house. Kidnapped centuries earlier and transformed into a red-tail hawk, Fiona is human once more and must learn how to be a modern woman. But damned if Trace is going to be the one to teach her. Not when her mere presence ignites a fiery passion deep within his cautious heart.

Fiona longs to overcome the painful memories of her tragic past—to let down her guard and become a mother again. But so far her handsome landlord is not exactly thrilled with the stray animals—and suitors—that keep following her home. When the wizard Maximilian Oceanus shows up, Trace reaches the end of his rope. Weird things happen when Mac is around—raging storms, snarling demons—but this time, Midnight Bay is at the center of a fierce battle, and Fiona is the primary target. Only Trace can save her, but first, the lovers must set aside their fears . . . and open up their hearts.

My Book Pimp Bells asked me to review this book for her since I am a long time fan of Chapman and wanted this book so bad! Glad to get my hands on it! I devoured it in two days ((Had to sleep)) and loved every minute of it!  Where do I start? Trace and Fiona are a perfect fit. Chapman did not disappoint in this book at all and it was exactly what I expected and a little bit more.  In the last book, Maximilian Oceanus gifts Kenzie and William the chance of their sisters return to them in human form since helped with his sister Carolina. Fiona used to be a Red Tail Hawk and helped guide William to the future in order to get help from her brother Kenzie.

Fiona in Hawk form is strong and willful, but ultimately does not want to become human and didn't ask for Max to change her, but it happens anyway. Both Kenzie and his brother have no clue how to get Fiona out of her shell. Although their solutions seem a bit rough, they may just in fact solve everyone's problem.  Except for her new landlord Trace, who just happens to be William's Brother in Law.

Trace is just back from the war in Afghanistan and is trying to come to terms with a few different scenarios. such as magic and that some of the humans were once panthers and dragons. Now he has to put up with an 11th Century woman turned hawk, then turned back to a woman living over his head.  He is against it from the start, but gets sucked into Kenzie's plea of helping his younger sister find herself.  Trace thinks she's beautiful, but clumsy and has to constantly remind himself to go easy around her.  Kenzie's terms are simple, no one is to help Fiona while her rent is paid for up to 6 months. Kenzie only gives her $500 with the hopes that when she runs out she will have no choice but to go to town and find a job.  I don't think men got the memo of "Don't push us women into a corner" LOL.

William's 17 year old sister Gabrielle ventures into town with Fiona one day to buy a magazine and what they end up getting is Fiona a dog that she names Courage.  I think the name suited the dog just fine. The Dempster boys who sell it to her don't tell her that her dog is the runt of the litter and basically scams her and who should come to the rescue? Trace! By way of trying to get her to come out of her shell he agrees to let the dog stay even though Fiona bought the dog first.  Then he gets her to help in putting up siding on the house.  This is the start of Fiona's transformation.  She doesn't openly come out and start talking to him, but she does start to take over, cleaning his barn, re-arranging his tools, making him bread and grabbing eggs. She even moves in a couple of animals. She's turning Trace's house into a home and he doesn't like it one bit!

The sexual tension between the two of them is there but in small doses. Don't expect this to be some hot heavy steaming read. Chapman doesn't do that, this is a slow churning of emotions. Lessons are learned and people grow from the situation.  The words exchanged between the two start of slow, but turn more meaningful as the book progresses.  There story is one of courage from both parties and triumph.  There are some secrets not just from Trace and Fiona but a very unlikely character who I know I wanted to know more about!

Max is back folks! Yes Oceanus plays a really huge role in the book and I can definitely tell you he is next in Chapman's work. I don't want to give all the deets away but trust me when I say the adventure is definitely there. I do want you to know if you have never read Chapman's writing its fun and flirty, there is some laugh out loud moments in all her writing and there are definitely happy endings all with a magical twist but the story offers love, kindness, it shows you the ends and out of a relationship that some may or may not be able to relate to.  But its powerful and moving just the same. This book was hands down a 5 for me. I knew what to expect going in and I wasn't disappointed at all.  I have read all of Chapman's book and will continue to do so!

Photobucket

Thanks for stopping by the blog Tigris my Doode! Sounds like she really enjoyed the book and I can't wait to read it myself!  Make sure you stop by Tigris's blog and show her some love!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't enjoy this one as much as Moonlight Warrior or Dragon Warrior. I prefer my time travel romance with the man from the past. And while I understand why it took so long for them to get together, it kind of dragged for me. I also thought the setup for Mac's book was a little heavy-handed. I like Chapman, this just wasn't one of my favorites.

    Jen at Red Hot Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the review - this is one I might not have heard of otherwise and it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd like this. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete