Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Review: Biting Cold by Chloe Neill

Photobucket Biting Cold 
Book 6 in the Chicagoland Vampires series
Author: Chloe Neill
Publisher:  New American Library
Release date: 8/7/12
Author's website: Link
Turned into a vampire against her will, twenty-eight-year-old Merit found her way into the dark circle of Chicago’s vampire underground, where she learned there was more to supernaturals than met the eye—and more supernaturals than the public ever imagined. And not all the secrets she learned were for sharing—among humans or inhumans.

Now Merit is on the hunt, charging across the stark American Midwest, tailing a rogue supernatural intent on stealing an ancient artifact that could unleash catastrophic evil on the world. But Merit is also the prey. An enemy of Chicagoland is hunting her, and he’ll stop at nothing to get the book for himself. No mercy allowed. No rules apply. No lives spared. The race is on.
Biting Cold picks up exactly where the last book in the series Drink Deep ends with Merit and Ethan on the road.  The previous book sets up the storyline for Biting Cold as Merit and Ethan are frantically searching for Merit's best friend Mallory who has turned somewhat evil and is on the verge of creating total chaos and destruction.  They have to stop her as soon as the can while dealing with their own relationship issues.  Things are uneasy between the two of them after the tragedy that struck them in book 4, Hard Bitten.  They don't quite know exactly where their relationship stands and with everything falling apart around them, it has to take a back seat until they can make sure that everyone will be safe. 

This story was ultimately about the relationship issues between the characters in the book.  Everything has changed after what has happened in the previous books and Merit feels quite lonely at one point.  In a sense she's lost her best friend and the man that she's fallen in love with. But she manages to wipe the tears away and deal with the issue of trying to figure out exactly what is happening with the city of Chicago.  She steps up and takes the burden when no one else will, putting herself in danger so that others will not be harmed.  Her true character shined through with each problem that she faced which strengthened her leadership potential. 

I'm giving Biting Cold a rating of:
Photobucket

I found myself very frustrated while reading Biting Cold because the series just doesn't have the excitement that the earlier books in the series did.  I know it must be very difficult for authors to keep their series exciting and tempting to the reader, but something needs to be done to add that back into this one.  I found myself struggling to get through the book as some parts of it were slow and I put the book down several times.  The characters and their actions frustrated me as well.  Merit and Ethan's relationship have gotten to the point where it's now frustrating to me.  I just don't know what to think about it anymore as there are times that I think Merit will be better off without him.  Their relationship needs more stability and while I think it will come in the next book in the series, I'm not sure if I care anymore.  I'm at the crossroads now when it comes to this series as to whether I will continue or just give it up.  More than likely my curiosity will win in the end and I'll pick the next one up to see if it'll intrigue me.   A change is coming for the characters of the series and perhaps this is just what is needed to add something exciting to it. 

1 comment: