Friday, January 13, 2012

Review: Lothaire by Kresley Cole

PhotobucketLothaire
Book 12 in the Immortals After Dark series
Author:  Kresley Cole
Publisher: Gallery
Genre: Paranormal Romance
ISBN: 9781439136829
Release date:  1/10/12
Author's website:  Link
ALL FEAR THE ENEMY OF OLD

Driven by his insatiable need for revenge, Lothaire, the Lore’s most ruthless vampire, plots to seize the Horde’s crown. But bloodlust and torture have left him on the brink of madness—until he finds Elizabeth Peirce, the key to his victory. He captures the unique young mortal, intending to offer up her very soul in exchange for power, yet Elizabeth soothes his tormented mind and awakens within him emotions Lothaire believed he could no longer experience.

A DEADLY FORCE DWELLS WITHIN HER

Growing up in desperate poverty, Ellie Peirce yearned for a better life, never imagining she’d be convicted of murder—or that an evil immortal would abduct her from death row. But Lothaire is no savior, as he himself plans to sacrifice Ellie in one month’s time. And yet the vampire seems to ache for her touch, showering her with wealth and sexual pleasure. In a bid to save her soul, Ellie surrenders her body to the wicked vampire, while vowing to protect her heart.

CENTURIES OF COLD INDIFFERENCE SHATTERED

Elizabeth tempts Lothaire beyond reason, as only his fated mate could. As the month draws to a close, he must choose between a millennia-old blood vendetta and his irresistible prisoner. Will Lothaire succumb to the miseries of his past . . . or risk everything for a future with her?
Lothaire is one of the books that was greatly anticipated by many. His character is one of great importance to the series and I myself was counting down the days to when I could finally read his story.  What I loved most about this book was the opportunity to learn more about his background.  From the blurb above you can see that getting revenge is a big part of Lothaire's life.  Right at the beginning of the story we learn why.  He was the son of individuals who were a part of two very powerful vampire factions and in some ways he felt betrayed by both.  His need for revenge is so strong that it's all that matters to him and for as long as he could he prepared himself for the day when he could make those that betrayed him suffer. In order to do that he must first unite with his Bride, his true mate that will help him obtain what he wishes the most.  But doing that isn't so easy because his Bride is an immortal that has been cursed to live in a mortal body, the body of one Elizabeth Peirce.  He must cast out Elizabeth's soul  from her body first but what he doesn't anticipate is how attracted he is to Elizabeth.  She's so different from all of the other people that he has ever dealt with and fights his feelings for her because she is human.  Elizabeth fights Lothaire at every opportunity that she can get.  Lothaire constantly reminds her that she's nothing but trailer trash and a mere human.  But the one thing that Lothaire doesn't expect from her is whatever he dishes at her, she can take it.  He learns so much from Elizabeth that he himself is shocked and it's shocking to see him realize this.  His arrogance continues but his feelings begin to soften for her when he realizes that she may just be what he has needed all along.

What I love so much about Lothaire is that he does and says what he wants.  He knows that he's desirable, strong, and has acquired many enemies over the years because he is fearless.  He's proud to be called Enemy Of Old and almost wears it as a badge of honor.  Because of his arrogance he totally underestimates Elizabeth and I loved when she managed to outsmart or outwit him.  Yes there are times when I wanted to reach through the book and shake him, but he truly is one of the most entertaining characters that I have read.  When first reading about Elizabeth's character I wasn't that impressed with her.  But I have to say she grew on me as I continued to read.  Her feelings toward the important things in life struck a chord with me with me just as it did Lothaire.  Having happiness in ones life is truly important and I'm so glad that Lothaire realized it before it was too late. 

I'm giving Lothaire a rating of: 
Photobucket

I. Love.This. Series!  It is truly unique, fresh, exciting,  and just keeps getting better.  It was the very first PNR series that I read and continues to set an example of excellence.  Kresley Cole has a great way of infusing her characters with so many different emotions that it makes her readers care for them and crave more of their books.  The characters are truly unforgettable and I am so happy to have finally gotten the chance to know Lothaire better.  Along with Nix, they are my favorite characters of the series and I'm anxiously awaiting for the next installment of the series to see what the characters will be experiencing next!

4 comments:

  1. I need to read this author/series. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I saw the cover to this book on GR & I was intrigued. I've never heard of this author before or the series. By reading some of the reviews, including yours, I am so intrigued & I bought the first one in the series. There is just something about the cover of this book that makes me want to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still in the process of reading this one now. I know, I'm slow. I've got a lot going on! But I'm getting ready to settle down to read for the night. I'm so exhausted, I just hope that I don't pass out... although with Lothaire, I kind of doubt that I'll have that problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. BELLS!! I just skimmed this one because I'm only 1 chapter in, but I know I'm going to love it already. OMG it starts out so bloody and violent - LOVES :P Can't wait for you to get your SIGNED COPY by both Kresley and Lothaire :D

    ReplyDelete