Monday, November 28, 2011

Review: Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep

PhotobucketKiss of Frost
Book 2 in the Mythos Academy series
Author: Jennifer Estep
Publisher:  Kensington
Genre: Young Adult
ISBN: 9780758266941
Release date:  November 29, 2011
Author's website: Jennifer Estep
Logan Quinn was try­ing to kill me. My Spar­tan class­mate relent­lessly pur­sued me, swing­ing his sword at me over and over again, the shin­ing sil­ver blade inch­ing closer to my throat every time. A smile tugged up his lips, and his ice-blue eyes prac­ti­cally glowed with the thrill of battle...

I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Acad­emy, and I have no idea how I’m going to sur­vive the rest of the semes­ter. One day, I’m get­ting schooled in sword­play by the guy who broke my heart — the drop-dead gor­geous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invis­i­ble archer in the Library of Antiq­ui­ties decides to use me for tar­get prac­tice. And now, I find out that some­one at the acad­emy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword — with Logan’s help — I just might die by the sword …
In book 2 of the series Gwen is learning all the different types of skills that a warrior needs to possess in order to protect themselves. Since she found out in book 1 of the series that she is the Goddess Nike's warrior, she needs to prepare herself for anything that may come her way. As she is training she learns that she is developing more abilities which include being able to channel past experiences one may have had after she has touched them. This ability comes in very handy for her throughout the book as she is now able to do things that she never thought she would be able to do. 


There isn't a whole lot of action in this one since Gwen has to figure out what exactly is going on around her. She's seeing things that no one else is seeing and it adds to Gwen already feeling alone as she sees so many happy couples around her. This includes her friends as well as Logan. Although they are still friends, you just know that they have feelings for one another and it's hard for Gwen to see him with someone else.  I really felt for her as she felt so alone and I felt that the author did a great job conveying that through the storyline. 

I'm giving Kiss of Frost a rating of: 
Photobucket

I felt that Kiss of Frost was a more emotional book than book 1 as Gwen learns more information regarding her mother's death. I found myself tearing up a little and Jennifer Estep does a great job with these scenes as one can only imagine what Gwen is truly feeling. She's still healing over the loss and the new information that she discovers seems to rip open those wounds and make them fresh all over again.  The 1st half of the book felt a slow to me but managed to pick up in the 2nd half as things start to fall into place and Gwen begins to realize exactly what she has to deal with.  I'm looking forward to reading book 3 in the series Dark Frost after reading the 1st chapter. It seems like it's going to start of with action right at the beginning and I'm looking forward to seeing what battles Gwen will have to face next.

Review of other book in the series:
Book 1:  Touch of Frost

3 comments:

  1. Agreed! This was much more emotional then the first one-I couldn't put my finger on what made it so different, but that is what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smexy needs to read this series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree, we saw more vulnerability in Gwen this time. I loved the romance in this one!

    ReplyDelete