Monday, March 7, 2011

Review: Wilder's Mate by Moira Rogers

Wilder's Mate
Book 1 of the Bloodhounds Series

Author:  Moira Rogers
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Genre: Paranomal Romance
Format: ebook
Release date: 3/8/11
More info at:   http://www.moirarogers.com/wilders-mate

Received ebook from author to review.


Wilder Harding is a bloodhound, created by the Guild to hunt down and kill vampires on America's frontier. His enhanced abilities come with a high price: on the full moon, he becomes capable of savagery beyond telling, while the new moon brings a sexual hunger that borders on madness.

Rescuing a weapons inventor from undead kidnappers is just another assignment, though one with an added complication--keeping his hands off the man's pretty young apprentice, who insists on tagging along.

At odds with polite society, Satira's only constant has been the aging weapons inventor who treats her like a daughter. She isn't going to trust Wilder with Nathaniel's life, not when the Guild might decide the old man isn't worth saving. Besides, if there's one thing she's learned, it's that brains are more important than brawn.

As the search stretches far longer than Wilder planned, he finds himself fighting against time. If Satira is still at his side when the new moon comes, nothing will stop him from claiming her. Worse, she seems all too willing. If their passion unlocks the beast inside, no one will be safe. Not even the man they're fighting to save.

(synopsis taken from author's site)

Wilder Harding has been sent by The Guild to track down an inventor that has been kidnapped.  The inventor, Nathaniel has built many weapons that are designed to kill vampires.  His assistant is Satira and she not only thinks of Nathaniel as her boss, but as a family member as well.  Nathaniel's father had a relationship with Satira's mother, and she feels as if she owes it to him to find Nathaniel.  She manages to convince Wilder to let her go with him on the journey.  It's not going to be an easy one and Satira at one point must pretend to be someone else in order to get closer to the kidnapper. 

What I liked most about this story was the main characters.  Wilder is one that is not afraid to say what is on his mind and seems to know everyone wherever he goes.  He was also smart, calm, and collective when he needs to be.  I loved that he was more than happy to give Satira pleasure over and over again, even if his needs were not being met.  At this point he was afraid of letting the Bloodhound in him out.  Satira also isn't afraid to say what is on her mind either, and I found that as well as her sexuality refreshing for a female character.  She let Wilder know that she was attracted to him and that she could handle whatever he could give her.  During the New Moon she was ready and willing for whatever was going to happen.  I was expecting this part of the book to be smoldering, but I felt that Wilder was just too tame when it came to having sex with Satira.  I expected him to be a beast, but he was almost too loving and tender.  I wanted him to rip their clothes off and take her up against a wall or something.  I know that he was afraid of losing control with her and hurting her, but Satira had told him many times that he was not going to be the first Bloodhound that she bedded.  I really wanted the two of them to loose control, but I just wasn't left satisfied.

I also wanted to know more about The Guild and the man that kidnapped Nathaniel.  These issues kept popping up into my mind as I was reading the book and I feel that story would have felt more complete to me with this info.  I think it must be a hard thing for an author to try to fit what they can into the stories that they are writing.  I know that everything can't be included, but I really think this info would have made the story stronger.  Perhaps there could be a prequel Ms. Rogers? *smiles sweetly* 


I'm giving Wilder's Mate 3.5 Bells!

Photobucket



Wilder's Mate was my 1st Steampunk read and I have to say that I liked that aspect of it a lot more than I thought I would.  I'm curious to see how this storyline is going to play out in the future and hope that the next Bloodhound really let's loose!  ;)


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Nice review! I haven't read this one yet but I am a fan of these authors :) Interested to see what they do with steampunk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandi - Thanks. This was the 1st steampunk book that I read.

    ReplyDelete